The Work and Income office in Napier’s CBD has re-opened after police cordoned it off earlier today after reports a man was verbally threatening staff.
Police were called to the Winz office on the corner of Dalton and Vautier Sts around midday on Wednesday after they received reports that a man was threatening staff verbally over the phone.
Police said they "took the matter seriously", cordoning off the area and sending it into lockdown.
Around 1.50pm, police issued a statement that the office was no longer under lockdown, the cordons points had been lifted and the office had been re-opened.
However the man accused of threatening staff could be charged over the incident, said police.
"The man regrets making the comments that he did," said Acting Senior Sergeant Nigel Hurley from the Eastern District Command Centre.
"Follow-up inquiries will be undertaken to ascertain if any offences have occurred and if charges are to be laid.
“It’s a timely reminder to people that they should choose carefully words that they use when talking on the phone to any business or any person.
"They will be taken seriously and action will be taken.
"Police staff acted appropriately and as far as I am concerned the matter was dealt with extremely well.”